Chili and cornbread is one of my all time favorites. It reminds me of cozy nights and camping under the stars. I think the only thing to really remember when making a bit pot of chili is to season it enough but not to overwhelm with heat. This version is simple but robust with fire roasted tomatoes and chipolte peppers in adobo sauce. Top it all off with some sweet and spicy cornbread and you have a gorgeous meal in one pot (my favorite thing these days). You can even make this on the coals if you are camping! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Dutch Oven Chili and Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 3/4 pound ground beef, preferably grass-fed (omit if you want vegetarian or vegan and use one more can of beans instead)
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 24 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 canned chipolte pepper in adobo sauce, chopped plus 1 tablespoon of adobe sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili power
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread:
- 1 cup cornmeal*
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk, any kind
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and sliced
- 1/2 shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Heat a dutch oven or other oven safe skillet such as a cast iron skillet on medium. Add oil and onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Next, add in ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon while it browns. Once browned, add in the spices followed by beans, tomatoes, chipolte pepper and adobo sauce and water. Season with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, mix the together the cornbread ingredients until smooth and combined. Turn off the burner and pour the cornbread mixture over the chili. Smooth out with the back of a spatula so that it covers the entire surface. Place in the oven and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the cornbread is golden brown. Drizzle with honey and let rest for ten minutes before diving in.
Serve with dollops of Greek yogurt, hot sauce, green onions and anything else your heart desires.
*If you don’t want to deal with the cornmeal and four situation, simply purchase a cornbread ready mix like Arrowhead Mills then follow the remainder of my instructions.