These spicy, scrumptious chickpeas fajita tacos are everything and more I had hoped they would be. Warm, sautéed onions and peppers pair so perfectly with the texture of chickpeas drenched in Mexican spices. The addition of limey slaw and creamy cilantro yogurt makes these plant-based tacos out of this world bomb, not to mention heart-healthy. Don’t forget the hot sauce!
Chickpea Fajita Tacos
Chickpea Fajita Mix:
- 6 small corn or flour tortillas, I used a green chili variety
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small or 1/2 of a sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- Fajita seasoning: dashes cumin, paprika, chili powder, chipolte power (if have on hand), garlic powder, cayenne and salt and pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced
- 1 lime, juice
Cilantro Lime Yogurt:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (omit if vegan or use vegan yogurt)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Hot sauce
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil. Once hot, add the sliced onion and bell pepper. Cook for about five minutes then add chickpeas along with fajita seasoning. Stir and let everything warm and mingle over low for about ten minutes. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas in a covered pan over low heat or in the oven on warm in tinfoil. Prepare the slaw and the cilantro lime yogurt and slice the avocado. Once the tortillas are warm and the chickpea fajita mixture looks cooked and delicious, assemble your tacos and devour. You might not make it to the table but that’s okay!